Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Getting A Job

So I haven't written in this blog for awhile. I define 'awhile' here by 7 months.

Let me catch you all up to speed. 

My life for the past 10 months prior November: traveling the country performing service work, such as re-building homes in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and educating inner city kids. 

My life for the past 2 months post November: listening to saxophone riffs of Disney songs in Panera Bread - my asylum away from home and parents. Currently playing: "I Can Go The Distance", from Hercules. Points for job hunting inspiration.

I wonder if Hercules ever had trouble finding a job in an economic recession. Okay, being half God is always a good business to get into. And would probably be that much more lucrative in harsh financial times, as crime is usually higher and Hercules was always known for purging towns of villains

But what would happen if the town could no longer afford to provide Hercules with slabs of meat and grape feeding mistresses. He might have to start exaggerating and inflating his 'good deed' numbers. Eventually people would invest more 'stock' (see: grain and daughters) in him, and when they find out he's a hack, it would be to late. The myth of Hercules would already be collapsed... hundreds of towns people counting on him would be fucked. Hercules would become Enron.

So while at Panera Bread I was chatting with my friend online, lets call her, Katie Mary. The conversation was again about possible career routes. 

Dan: So do you like working on political campaigns?
Katie: So much fun, I love it. I even met one of my best friends on a campaign.
Dan: You sound like you're doing an infomercial testimony. 
Katie: Ha.
Dan: I wonder if I could just get a job working infomercials. Like find out what products are coming out, try them and then contact the companies  and explain how much I love what their product has done for me. Then star in the infomercials. Except I think they just call those actors.
Katie: They do. I know some. Sort of.  

Warning: Blog entries will become more cynical as unemployment lingers. (See: Earlier dated purpose-filled blogs)


1 comment:

johnny said...

Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting" came on the radio the other night...and I didn't change it. Not a good sign.

I'm sure even Hercules had his bad days - I mean, he fell for a chick who was in business with Hades - that's worse than accidentally getting into the drug trade.